Career planning and management is a lifelong planning process of planning the career of an individual career. It starts with childhood and ends with retirement from the work. It includes analyzing SWOT, establishing personal goals, and formulating strategies to achieve those goals. Career management can start as soon as a high school before one’s career actually starts. It can involve choosing a college and selecting a major or specialization. It can also start after the completion of education. It can also start in mid-life, even if one is already ten or twenty years into his/her career field or switching careers.
It’s never too early or late to start planning and managing the career and it’s never too early or late in the career to take this course. This course starts at the very beginning and talks about career planning and development. Next, it will dive straight into the career and teach you the skills and strategies you’ll need to put into place to turn that plan into the successful career you desire. Hence, this course is designed to help you understand yourselves and your careers better by combining several methods. You will be exposed to the most important career theories and research in this field and you will engage in the extensive use of the case method. It includes the processes and strategies of career planning and management involved at the different stages of your career path. Whether you’re contemplating starting a career, trying to choose a career path, or are looking to make changes or improvements to your career, this course will provide you with the information and clear understanding you need on your way to achieving your success in your life.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs):
After the completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe what career management is and why you need it.
- Describe the career development process and identify where they are in the cycle.
- Describe the impact of demographic, economic, and organizational changes on the world of work and their personal career development decisions.
- Identify their own personal priorities, skills, interests, strengths, and values using a variety of contemporary assessment tools and reflection activities.
- Relate their assessments to academic and occupational options and goals.
- Write a compelling resume and cover letter.
- Interview effectively for prospective internships and jobs.
- Participate effectively in networking events.
- Identify networking techniques you can use to manage your career goals.
- Know the need for personal and career development and how it can benefit your career
- Recognize the value of mentorship and identify ways to manage your boss.
- Identify ways of escaping career stagnation.
- Understand different stages of careers such as the growth stage of life and career, exploration stage, establishment stage, mid-career, late-career, and decline stage of career.
- Help to go to the top of the success ladder of the career.
Audience/Course is designed for which Audience?
- Students who are ready to begin thinking seriously about their career goals
- All Business Professionals
- Intrapreneurs, e.g., Managers, Doers, and Implementers
- Managers of public and Private Sector Enterprises
- Students of All Programs
- Anyone who has an interest in Career Planning and Management.
Why Career Planning and Management Course?
A significant part of our life is spent in achieving our career goals, thus it is very important to make sure that the right steps were taken and correct planning was done in the early years of your life. There are very few lucky ones who are born with a clear mind and who knows what they want to do and where they see themselves in life ahead. But the majority of us are not sure what we want from life and so it is very important to plan out things. Thus, career planning and management are what give your career and in some way your life, true meaning, and purpose.
Career planning and management continue throughout your professional life. Planning carefully prepares you to cope with changes both in your work and in yourself. Managing your career effectively involves taking risks, learning new skills, and adapting to changes in both the work environment and technology.
Career planning also gives you the much-needed direction and makes it clear where you like to see yourself in the future. It makes you aware of your strengths and weaknesses and the skills, knowledge, and interests that are required to achieve your goals in the future.
The overarching goal of this course is to help you develop a deeper understanding of theory and research in the area of career planning and management and to demonstrate how such knowledge is pertinent for the effective management of your own career.
Prerequisite Courses if Any:
Fundamentals of Management, Organizational Behavior, HRM, Fundamentals of Marketing, Marketing Management, Economics, Strategic Management.
Name of Chapter:
- Introduction to Career Planning and Management
- Need for Career Planning and Management
- Career Planning Process
- Theories of Career Planning and Management
- Growth Stage of Life and Career
- Exploration Stage of Career
- Establishment Stage of Career
- Mid Career Stage
- Late-Career Stage
- The decline of Career Stage & Preparation of Career Plan
- After completing each lesson, you have to click on the “COMPLETE” button then go to the next lesson.
- Must fill up your first name and last name then set the display name for your certificate.
- You have to complete all quizzes with a minimum 70% correct answer & within available Re-take.
- Complete every lesson of this course serially.
- Don’t click on the “FINISH COURSE” button.
- If you click on the “FINISH COURSE” button then the course will be finished, you will unable to complete the next lessons or parts of this course and a Certificate will be generated.
Courses of This Instructors:
- Lectures 86
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3.5 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 4
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
Introduction to Career Planning and Management
- What is Career Management
- Career Paths _ Career Plateau
- Promotion _ Transfer
- Career Counseling
- Career Motivation
- Career Resilience, Insight and Identity
- Traditional Career vs Protean Career
- Traditional Career Stages
- Individual _ Organizational Perspective of Career
- How to Create Favorable Conditions for Career Development
- Choosting a Mentor
- Why Develop a Mentoring Program
- Career Development – Who is Responsible
- Basic Skills of Successful Career Management
- Career Management Process
- Components of Career Management Process
- Design Factors of Effective Career Management Systems
- Identify Your Career Stage
- Identify Your Occupational Orientation
- Finding the Right Job
- Writing Your Resume
- Handling the Interview
Need for Career Planning and Management
Career Planning Process
Theories of Career Planning and Management
- Overview of this chapter
- Overview of Career Development Theories
- Frank Parsons_ Trait and Factor Theory
- Kuder Career Search with Person Match (Kcs)
- Differential Aptitude Tests (Dat)
- General Aptitude Test Battery (Gatb) ,Characteristics of The Ability Profiler (Gatb)
- Holland Theory of Vocational Types
- Bandura’S Social Cognitive Theory
- Super’s Developmental Self-Concept Theory
- Roe’s Personality Theory
- Other Theories of Career Development
- Concluding Remarks
Growth Stage of Life and Career
Exploration Stage of Career
Establishment Stage of Career
- Learning Objectives
- Mid Career Stage
- Mid Career Issues
- Skill Obsolescence
- Career Plateau _ Reasons For Career Plateau
- Physical Change In Middle Age
- Cognitive Change, Learning and Work Issues in Middle Age
- Work Challenges in Middle Age
- Reasons to Make Mid Career Changes
- Harry Levinson’s Right-Wrong Reasons to Make Changes in Mid Career
- Organizational Actions During Mid Career
- What is Mid Career Crisis _ Ways to Deal With A Mid-Career Crisis?
- Strategies for A Mid-Career Job Search
- Tips for Changing Careers at The Age of 40 and Above
- Common Midlife Career Change Jobs
Late Career Stage
Decline Career Stage & Preparation of Career Plan
Course Conclusion & Quiz